Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Custom Bust


Today was the Magic Moon big sale of the year where everything was supposed to be up to 75% off. They do custom bedding and have all of the high end baby stuff that is way out of our league- especially for the second baby in two years. I went to the sale last year when I was pregnant with Clay and was able to find some cute clothes and room stuff for him. I was so excited to get their email about another big sale and immediately called Rebecca to be my back- up for helping with Clay (since Mike works on Saturdays) and getting all of the girly things I wanted. I knew from the last sale that it was going to be a CIRCUS and people were just grabbing and pushing.

Mike kept telling me this week that he'd never seen me so worked up about a sale before. Normally, these crazy, 'pushing people out of the way', mob-scene sales are NOT my style. I'm ALL about a good deal but I don't like competition in stores and especially when there's only one of everything.

So anyway, I was telling Mike since I know there's no way we're going to spend $900+ on crib bedding, I'd love to be able to have the same bedding for 75% off and I'm willing to go to the crazy circus sale for it. The thing that kept stressing me out, though, was I really wanted to go to get just the perfect bedding BUT I was totally afraid someone would snatch up just what I wanted right in front of my eyes because there is ONE of everything- just one. Mike swears this kept me up last night.

Anyhow, Mike was nice enough to switch his work schedule around so he could go in late and keep Clay this morning. This was good news because it meant Rebecca and I could divide and conquer. We got there 45 minutes early and were the 5th and 6th people in line. How could we miss?

We talked to some ladies in line while we were waiting. I could tell that they weren't anywhere near as serious about getting a deal as I was. One of them was due in September and showed us the bedding fabric swatches she had picked out from another company and told us how she didn't really know what she was looking for at the sale. The other had a little boy a little older than Clay and didn't seem too into the whole thing, either.

So Rebecca and I discussed strategy and I told Rebecca I was heading straight for the baby girl bedding. That was my one mission.

When they let us in, the bedding was right there. A whole wall of mixed up madness. Twin bedding, day bedding, crib bedding, boy bedding, girl bedding- all in one pile. Great. We had been in the doors maybe 2 minutes and I see it. The exact bedding I had gotten the swatches for and sat with the lady and designed for a girl before we knew it was a Clay. Just a couple of weeks ago I had shown the swatches to someone and told them how much I loved it and how I'd love to have it this time around. And it was RIGHT THERE. In someone else's hands. Not just anybody- the same lady in line behind me who had shown me her swatches from a different company and told me she didn't really know what she was looking for at the sale. She had it and she wanted it.

My worst fear had come true. The bedding I wanted (at 75% off) was totally snatched out from beneath me and there was nothing I could do. Boo. And that is the story of the last time I will be attending a crazy circus sale (even though Rebecca is ALWAYS nice enough to come and tackle the crowds with me!).

If anyone has any suggestions of custom bedding places or people who make custom bedding, please leave me a comment. After all of the shenanigans with Clay's bedding (adorable custom bedding but totally shady lady) I just want this bedding process to be simple (and custom).

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

That place was soo disorganized!! I know you will find the perfect bedding!